Call Us Today:

Frequently Asked Questions

Auto FAQ’s

Does my auto insurance cover me if I rent a vehicle?

Yes and no. Liability coverage on your insurance policy will cover personal injury and property damage while you are driving the rental vehicle. Damage to the rented vehicle is covered by comprehensive and collision coverage on your insurance policy, only if you have a vehicle on your policy with this coverage. If there is an accident and damage to the rented vehicle, the rental car company can try to recover damages for lost income while the vehicle is in the repair shop. Depending on your insurance company, you may or may not be covered against this type of claim. The best way to find out is to review your auto insurance policy or contact us here at The Service Agency. Some credit card companies provide protection against these types of rental car claims. Contact your credit card company to determine if you are covered.


Will my policy cover another person if I loan them my vehicle?

Yes, liability, comprehensive and collision coverage are connected to your vehicle. If the driver of your vehicle is injured, that driver’s policy can also cover the cost of damages and injuries. The same is true if you borrow someone else’s vehicle. Your own insurance follows you regardless of the automobile you drive, but if you are involved in an accident while driving that vehicle, the owner’s insurance provide the key coverage for damages and injuries. If you have a relative, friend or household member who regularly drives your vehicle, make sure you provide the name and driver’s license number to your insurance agent.


Is it cheaper to have my car and home insurance with the same insurance company?

Yes, there are discounts provided if you place your home and auto insurance with the same insurance company. Discounts can reach 25-30% or more by placing your business with one insurance carrier.


What if I am in an accident with someone that does not have auto insurance?

Your options are to:

1. Work with the party that caused damage to your vehicle to recoup your costs;

2. Submit your claim through your insurance company and then try to recoup the deductible in small claims court, or;

3. Go directly to court to try to recoup the costs. Since they do not have insurance in the first place, they most likely do not have the money to pay you either. Unfortunately if you only have liability coverage on your vehicle, this may be your only option.


Are there any discounts for my child’s good grades?

Yes, if your child is a full –time student and carriers a B average (3.0 GPA) or better, you can qualify for the discount. The discount can be added when they qualify.


Do I need to add my child to my auto insurance if they only have a learner’s permit?

No. Once your child has taken and passed their driver’s test, then they need to be added to your auto insurance policy. Until that time, they will be covered according to the limits on the auto policy.


What do I do when I am in a car accident?

Visit ‘What to do when you are in a car accident?’ on our claims page.



Home FAQ’s

Are natural disasters like floods and earthquakes covered by my homeowner’s insurance policy?

Unfortunately flood and earthquake damage is not covered by your standard homeowner’s insurance policy. A separate policy will need to be purchased to cover these types of perils. However, other natural disasters such as wind and hail damage will most likely be covered by your current standard homeowner’s policy.


Does my homeowner’s policy cover my personal property when they are not at my home?

Coverage is provided on a standard homeowner policy equal to 10% of the limit for Coverage C of a homeowner policy or $1,000, whichever is greater. This provides protection for your personal property when traveling or for temporary situations. If you have personal property in excess of these amounts away from home or property that is kept away from your residence premises for extended periods, you should consider additional protection. Talk to your insurance agent about how to purchase additional coverage. As for personal property located in a storage unit, there is no limitation except whatever the contents limit is on the property.


Does my homeowner’s policy cover my in-home business?

No. In order to have coverage for your in-home business, you will need to purchase a separate business insurance policy. Contact one of our agents today to determine what type of policy will best fit your needs.



Umbrella FAQ’s

What is an umbrella policy?

An umbrella policy is an additional layer of liability coverage you can purchase to protect your existing personal assets and future personal assets (such as your inheritance or wages, etc.) against the cost of losing a lawsuit over a car accident or an accident on your property. If you were to lose such a lawsuit, you would be responsible for paying the winning party costs such as lost wages and medical expenses. By having the umbrella policy, it can provide an additional layer of anywhere between $1 million and up to $5 million (depending on how much you purchase) in additional liability protection.


Are recreational vehicles covered under an umbrella policy?

Yes, as long as your recreational vehicles carry the liability limits requested by the insurance company to add them to your umbrella policy. Recreational vehicles covered are: ATV’s, snowmobiles, golf carts, dune buggies, motor homes not used as a residence, motorcycles, trail bikes, and mini-bikes.


In the event of a claim, are defense costs covered?

Yes. In addition to the payment up to your policy limit, the policy provides unlimited legal defense for covered claims.



Life FAQ’s

How do I know how much life insurance to purchase?

Everyone has different needs and reasons for purchasing life insurance. To ensure you are purchasing the correct amount and type of life insurance, contact our office for a complimentary needs analysis. It only takes a few moments to provide peace-of-mind for a life time. Contact us today.


When do I need to purchase life insurance?

A good time to purchase life insurance is when there have been life changes (marriage, a significant other, having a child, or other dependents). If you have life insurance and the unexpected happens, it will help your loved ones pay for items such as the mortgage, rent, tuition, funeral arrangements, utility bills, credit card bills, taxes, day care expenses, etc. Life insurance is designed to help protect your loved ones from financial ruin. Call us today for a complimentary life insurance quote.

Our Location

The Service Agency

369 W. Main Street
Ellsworth, WI 54011
Main office: 715-406-4760
Toll free: 800-584-9495
Fax: 715-273-3924

Office Hours:

Mon: 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Tues: 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Wed: 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Thurs: 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Fri: 7:30 AM - 4:00 PM
Sat: By Appointment
Sun: Closed

Our Providers


The Service Agency really lives up to their name! Kris spent time learning our business and expanded the coverage for our furniture store at a lower cost than we were previously paying. Prompt and very helpful.
- Deb D
The name says it all! Excellent, caring customer service in a friendly, welcoming manner. And, as an independent agency you can trust you're with the best company and paying a fair rate!
- Kaydi S